Holland Innovation Network China is a government network focused on Innovation, Technology and Science in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. Its main tasks are to support and stimulate knowledge-intensive collaboration between the Netherlands and China. This is accomplished by facilitating and promoting Sino-Dutch innovation, technology and science networks, and by reporting to Dutch and Chinese stakeholders about new developments in the science and technology domain.
Duties and Activities:
The main task for the Innovation Officer is to identify opportunities for Dutch companies, universities, research institutes and government organisations for new R&D and innovation cooperation in China.
In order to achieve this, the Innovation Officer will undertake activities such as:
- Create and maintain an active network with innovation-driven organisations in both China and the Netherlands
- Organize in-depth seminars, networking events, visits of high-level government officials and experts.
- Independently collect and analyse data and information on Innovation, Technology & Science developments in China and report on these to the various stakeholders in the Netherlands in a way that answers to the stakeholders’ needs
- Independently plan and organize incoming and outgoing missions and delegations
- Contribute to the branding of the Netherlands as a high-tech country
Holland Innovation Network covers many (high tech-) sectors; of special interest for this position are the Life Science & Health, Chemistry, Energy domains, as well as university collaboration.
Level of education:university master’s degree, preferably in engineering or natural sciences.
Level of experience: 5-7 years of relevant work experience.
- A proactive attitude (self-starting/ independent), strategic mindset and eagerness to learn about new industries and technologies.
- Strong networking and analytical skills (capable of actively and independently developing, maintaining and using a professional network);
- Experience in scientific research is beneficial;
- Interest in Dutch innovation policy and research infrastructure. Knowledge of the Dutch and Chinese government or research infrastructure is beneficial;
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Flexible and cooperative attitude (team player);
- Experience in leading small project teams;
- Experience in business development or similar positions is desirable;
- Highly sensitive to a policy and political environment;
- Languages: Fluency in Dutch and excellency in the English language is required. Chinese language skills are very beneficial.
Working environment (Dutch diplomatic network):
The China network of the Kingdom of the Netherlands consists of the Embassy in Beijing and Consulates General in Guangzhou, Shanghai, Chongqing and Hong Kong.
The purpose of the Dutch diplomatic network of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in China is to manage diplomatic relations with the People’s Republic of China and representation of the Netherlands in order to strengthen the international position in the relevant policy areas through policy support and development, and to promote and support bilateral/multilateral cooperation.
Holland Innovation Network China is part of the diplomatic network of the Netherlands in China and belongs to a worldwide network of Dutch Innovation officers, which is managed by the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO.nl) and commissioned by the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs. For more information visit our website at: www.ianetwerk.nl (Dutch only).
The Innovation Officer works in an inter-city team with colleagues in Guangzhou and Shanghai. Each office works relatively independent in its geographical region and reports to the Counsellor for Innovation, Technology & Science at the Dutch Embassy in Beijing. The Innovation Officer also cooperates with colleagues from other departments at the Embassy in Beijing, especially with his/her colleagues in the economic department and political department.
Most of the work of the Innovation Officer in Beijing is carried out in the Jing-Jin-Ji region (Beijing, Tianjin, Hebei), though occasionally business trips within China and to the Netherlands will be required.
Conditions of employment:
- This position is only open for Dutch nationals.
- Dutch nationals: The “rechtspositieregeling lokaal indienstgenomen medewerkers 2005” (Rrlok 2005) of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs is applicable to this position. The salary scale for this function is 9 (ranging from RMB 31.194 to RMB 46.792 per month + social allowances). The level will be determined according to the relevant work experience of the candidate;
- The vacancy concerns a full time (38 hours/week) position with a fixed term contract for the duration of one year, starting as soon as possible. After one year an evaluation will take place, upon mutual agreement the contract can be extended for a longer period.
If you would like more information regarding the content of this position, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to have more information about the local employment conditions, please contact Eugène Brat (Eugene.Brat@minbuza.nl, +86 10 6532 0240).
Candidates are required to submit their motivation letter and resumé in English to Taake Manning, Innovation, Technology and Science Counsellor (email@example.com). The deadline for submission is 17th January 2020.